Students must be in class by the beginning of the period. If a student’s tardiness to school/class results in missing an entire class period, that absence is considered a cut. Students should report immediately to their respective period when arriving late to school. If a student’s tardiness to school results in missing an entire class period, that absence is considered unexcused. If a student is absent from any class for an excused reason, a parent note must be provided to the attendance office the day the student returns to school. Students tardy to any period will result in half a demerit per period.
Students who cut class(ess) and are marked absent (A) will be given one demerit per cut. This will be in addition to the current demerit policy of tardies to school and includes cuts to advisory. Absence (A) to advisory results in half or full day absences depending on the length of advisory period per CPS guidelines.
Students who are excused from one or more classes to participate in an activity (field trip, assembly, concert, etc.) must secure the PERMISSION OF THE TEACHER(S) of the class(es) to be missed PRIOR to the event. Official forms or tickets of admission must be signed by the classroom teacher. A teacher may refuse to allow a student to be absent from his or her class. No teacher has the right to excuse a student from another teacher’s class. The student must have the direct approval of every teacher whose class he or she will miss. If the student does not receive the teacher’s written excuse PRIOR to the missed class, the absence will be considered a “cut” and processed.
*SF is the equivalent of present but it indicates that a student is attending a school event
To report an absence and have it excused, please choose any one of the following:
- Submit an absence note via this link
- Call the attendance office (773-535-5410) before 9:30am and leave a detailed voicemail with the student’s name, ID#, and reason for the absence (mental health day, for ex).
- Have your student visit the main office for a hard copy of the absence note, sign it, and return it to the main office within two weeks of the date of the absence. Absence note must state the reason for the absence as mental health day.
Do I need to report absences if my child is in a CPS-mandated quarantine?
If your child is currently Covid positive, you will need to report their absence by calling the attendance office (773-534-5410) before 9:30am each day, or completing an official absence note (linked above) and emailing to email@example.com.
If you are Covid positive, please self-report using the Covid-self report form.
Covid students are no longer eligible for remote instruction. Please have your student reach out to their teachers to gain access to any assignments or tasks that can be completed asynchronously (independently, at home) as you would for any other type of absence.
Excused absence: Students’ absences are considered as excused absences when they take place for one of the following reasons:
- Student illness
- Observance of a religious holiday (absence note required)
- Death in the immediate family
- Family emergency
- Circumstances which cause reasonable concern to the parent for their child’s safety or health (must be approved by the principal)
- Other situations beyond the control of the student (as determined by principal)
Unexcused absence: A student absence that is not for one of the six valid reasons is deemed an unexcused absence:
- An unexcused absence for all or part of a school day by a student in grades K through 12 is deemed a truant absence and the student is designated a truant student
- A truant absence by a grade 9 through 12 student is referred to as a “cut”
- A chronic truant is a K through 12 student who has 9 or more full-day unexcused absences for the school year
AHD: Absent Half Day
AFD: Absent Full Day
SF: Same as P but indicates that a student is attending a school event, school meeting with a school staff member.