Students must be in class by the beginning of the period. If a student’s tardiness to school/class results in missing an entire class period, that absence is considered a cut. Students should report immediately to their respective period when arriving late to school. If a student’s tardiness to school results in missing an entire class period, that absence is considered unexcused. If a student is absent from any class for an excused reason, a parent note must be provided to the attendance office the day the student returns to school. Students tardy to any period will result in half a demerit per period.
Cuts To Class
Students who cut class(ess) and are marked absent (A) will be given one demerit per cut. This will be in addition to the current demerit policy of tardies to school and includes cuts to advisory. Absence (A) to advisory results in half or full day absences depending on the length of advisory period per CPS guidelines.
Excusal From Class For School Activity (SF)
Students who are excused from one or more classes to participate in an activity (field trip, assembly, concert, etc.) must secure the PERMISSION OF THE TEACHER(S) of the class(es) to be missed PRIOR to the event. Official forms or tickets of admission must be signed by the classroom teacher. A teacher may refuse to allow a student to be absent from his or her class. No teacher has the right to excuse a student from another teacher’s class. The student must have the direct approval of every teacher whose class he or she will miss. If the student does not receive the teacher’s written excuse PRIOR to the missed class, the absence will be considered a “cut” and processed.
*SF is the equivalent of present but it indicates that a student is attending a school event
Mental Health Days Policy
To report an absence and have it excused, please choose any one of the following:
- Submit an absence note via this link
- Call the attendance office (773-535-5410) before 9:30am and leave a detailed voicemail with the student’s name, ID#, and reason for the absence (mental health day, for ex).
- Have your student visit the main office for a hard copy of the absence note, sign it, and return it to the main office within two weeks of the date of the absence. Absence note must state the reason for the absence as mental health day.
Do I need to report absences if my child is in a CPS mandated quarantine?
If your child is currently eligible for remote instruction, your student will attend remotely and be counted as ‘V’ for present virtually and no absence note is needed. However, if your student will not be able to attend classes remotely, you will need to report their absence by calling the attendance office (773-534-5410) before 9:30am each day, or completing an official absence note (linked above) and emailing to email@example.com.
If you are Covid positive, please self-report using the Covid-self report form.
- You must have a positive test from a medical facility, home tests are a great screening tool, but not sufficient to report using the self-report form.
I reported my student’s Covid positivity using the Covid-self-report form but all of their teachers are saying they are not on the remote learning list.
If your child is currently on the remote learning list, you will receive an email from Lane by the end of the day (weekdays at and Sunday evenings by 9pm). If you have not received the email from Lane, please check that your Student ID# and School Location are correct and resubmit the form. If you are still not receiving the email and you’ve submitted it correctly, email firstname.lastname@example.org. For Remote Learning Eligibility questions, go here.
Excused vs Unexcused Absences
Excused absence: Students’ absences are considered as excused absences when they take place for one of the following reasons:
- Student illness
- Observance of a religious holiday (absence note required)
- Death in the immediate family
- Family emergency
- Circumstances which cause reasonable concern to the parent for their child’s safety or health (must be approved by the principal)
- Other situations beyond the control of the student (as determined by principal)
Unexcused absence: A student absence that is not for one of the six valid reasons is deemed an unexcused absence:
- An unexcused absence for all or part of a school day by a student in grades K through 12 is deemed a truant absence and the student is designated a truant student
- A truant absence by a grade 9 through 12 student is referred to as a “cut”
- A chronic truant is a K through 12 student who has 9 or more full-day unexcused absences for the school year
AHD: Absent Half Day
AFD: Absent Full Day
SF: Same as P but indicates that a student is attending a school event, school meeting with a school staff member.